Have you been injured due to a hospital-acquired infection?
Being admitted to hospital can be a very upsetting, daunting experience for you and your loved ones. It’s likely your illness or injury has left you feeling vulnerable and out of control, as your health and wellbeing has been placed in the hands of healthcare professionals.
The incredible work of doctors and nurses day in, day out at hospitals doesn’t go unnoticed. We place an immense amount of trust in others during our time in hospital and usually, we are given no reason to lack confidence in our treatment. We also put faith in the strict hygiene and cross-contamination controls in place in hospitals to ensure infections are unable to spread.
Unfortunately, the actions of those within a hospital setting can sometimes lead to the spreading of an infection, which can have serious consequences for a patient who is already ill.
Common hospital-acquired infections
There is a vast number of infections that can be acquired in a hospital setting. However, the most common are:
- Surgical-site infection
- Urinary Tract Infection
If you have contracted an illness due to a hospital-acquired infection, making a claim for compensation may be the last thing you want to think about, but we would urge you to get the ball rolling and establish if you are eligible for compensation as soon as possible.
Claims can take considerable time to conclude, and in the meantime, your finances could be severely stretched. We deal with most cases on a ‘No win, No fee’ basis, leaving you to focus on your recovery, rather than worrying about legal costs.
Attwood Solicitors will work hard to ensure a fast resolution for your case, without adding further hassle or stress to your life. Contact us today for a free consultation, expert advice, and support with your claim.
Determining liability is the first step in a Personal Injury case, and evidence will be required to prove that a third party was responsible for any injury or illness for which you are seeking compensation.
Making a claim for medical negligence following the contraction of a hospital-acquired infection can often be very difficult. This is because it is sometimes hard to prove that the negligence of healthcare professionals led to the development of the infection. However, you should not let this put you off, as our team of specialists have years of subject knowledge and expertise on their side, allowing them to confidently investigate your claim and ascertain instances of negligence where the infection could have been spread.
It may be possible to prove that the health care professionals who were responsible for treating you did not adhere to the stringent hygiene and cross contamination controls set in place at your hospital. Other common examples of negligence that could lead to a hospital-acquired infection are:
- Failure to assess and resolve patient risk factors
- Lack of hygiene and cleanliness in the hospital and treatment setting in general
- Lack of hygiene and personal care of doctors/nurses (such as regular hand washing, and wearing sterile garments, such as gloves and masks)
- The use of unsterile equipment to treat the patient
- Failure to recognize the symptoms of a hospital-acquired infection
- Failure to treat your infection properly once recognized
If you are unsure who is liable, or you are struggling to collect evidence, but still believe that you deserve compensation for your suffering, get in touch with our team immediately. We may be able to help build your case by talking with witnesses, experts, or other stakeholders to establish the facts.
After you’ve been involved in a case of this nature, it’s understandable that your main objective will be to recover from your experience and put it behind you. Claiming compensation for your hospital-acquired infection is often a good way of doing this, as it not only provides financial support at a time when you need it the most, but should also help you feel that justice has been served.
We work tirelessly to ensure that each client is awarded the maximum compensation possible for their case. If you are successful in your claim, you may be awarded compensation for one or more of the following:
- The injury sustained, including physical and mental damage. Compensation is awarded based on pain, suffering, and inability to resume ‘normal’ life.
- Financial losses, including loss of earnings since the accident. Loss of potential future earnings may also be considered.
- Out-of-pocket expenses including care costs, medical costs, and travel to medical appointments. (Please note: It’s important to keep any receipts for out-of-pocket expenses so that they can be included in any claim).
- Future needs – It may be necessary to make adjustments in the future, such as adaptations at home, which may also be claimed for.
Our experience and expertise in Personal Injury cases will help you to secure the compensation you deserve.
Seeking compensation may be the last thing on your mind, but it’s important to be aware that there are time limits for taking legal action. Don’t worry, we understand that it may be difficult for you to talk about what has happened, but please rest-assured that our sympathetic team is here to support you, and will make the process as simple and straightforward as possible.
We will take some basic details and information about what has happened, before introducing you to a carefully selected solicitor who specialises in your type of claim. They will then guide you through the rest of the process. (You can find out more about what that involves in the Attwood Solicitor’sGuide to Personal Injury Claims).
We deal with most cases under a Conditional Fee Agreement, also known as ‘No win, No fee’. This means:
- No upfront payments
- Nothing to pay if your claim does not succeed
- No risk
- Lack of funds will not prohibit you from making a claim
There are many companies offering support for Personal Injury claims, but before you decide which one you trust to secure the best outcome for your case, here are some things you that you should know about Attwood Solicitors:
- We are Personal Injury Specialists – that means we focus solely on ONE area of specialism, rather than trying to be a Jack of All Trades. As such, our expertise is unrivalled.
- We are committed to processing your claim to the best of our ability, ensuring the best outcome for you, in the least stressful way possible.
- We have a huge depth of experience and wide-ranging case history, which means that we can offer the best legal knowledge to support your claim.
- We have a proven track record of successful claims and are proud of our reputation as leaders in our field.
- We believe you have suffered enough already, and therefore undertake all Personal Injury Claims on a No Win, No Fee basis.
- We believe you should have your own appointed Legal Expert to ensure continuity of care and tailored support.
- We offer a sympathetic and supportive approach, understanding that you have been through, and are still going through, a difficult time.
- We believe that open and honest communication is the key to a successful client relationship, and will keep you informed throughout, with clear and precise information.
- We offer a free initial consultation where we will be honest with you about the likely success of your claim.
- Our integrity is paramount, and we therefore offer our expertise in a caring and considerate way, where all decisions are made in the best interests of the client.
- We will guide you and fight your corner for you, making the process as stress-free as possible.